Seeking Board Members!
Who we are:
Founded in 1995, Zero Breast Cancer helps individuals and communities understand scientific research on environmental risk factors and lifestyle variables that influence breast cancers. We promote disease prevention through targeted communication of evidence-based recommendations that support health and wellness at key stages of life. We envision a world with zero breast cancer. Please visit our website at www.zerobreastcancer.org to learn more about this 21-year old organization.
Zero Breast Cancer is looking to increase membership of our Board*. We are in a period of transformation and expansion and are looking for individuals who thrive on sharing creative ideas for growth and who will help bring diversity to the Board in terms of age, race/ethnicity, gender, occupation, geography and areas of expertise.
You would be joining a group of individuals passionate about Zero’s mission who work together collaboratively to promote our programs and ensure that the staff have the necessary resources to deliver these programs. You would bring your energy and skills to facilitate strategic planning, capacity building, advocating and networking in the fields of finance, law, IT, technology and event creation & management. If you are a motivated person who has experience serving on non-profit boards then this may be a very good fit for you. You have a strong track record of making meaningful contributions of resources - money, time, expertise, and connections - to the organizations you have previously served and you would do the same for ZBC.
The Board of Zero Breast Cancer is collectively committed to supporting 10% of the organizations’ budget through personal giving and get-giving. This means members personally contribute and/or secure between $2K - $15K each fiscal year.
* We currently have 7 members and our by-laws allow for up to 15 members. Our goal is to reach and sustain between 10 and 12 members.
- Be responsible and accountable for the mission, strategic direction and impact of ZBC
- Support the financial and other resource development needs of the organization
- Support and attend ZBC fundraising and friend raising events
- Support and attend partner events
- Provide fiduciary oversight of the organization
- Serve one, or more, 2-year terms (renewable twice for total of 6 years or 3 consecutive terms)
- Attend board and committee meetings regularly (monthly)
- Attend an annual retreat
- Serve on at least one standing and one ad-hoc committee
- Required (training provided where appropriate)
- Ability to articulate the mission of ZBC with passion
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Ability to be a team player and to be respectful, trustworthy, transparent, nonjudgmental, request clarity when needed and communicate constructively
- Ability to network within one’s own personal, professional and business circles to expand the visibility of ZBC
- Ability to represent ZBC as an ambassador at both ZBC and community events to improve the visibility and reputation of ZBC
- Ability to work with the Executive Director to cultivate and solicit donors
- Foreign language skills – Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Chinese, Japanese
Experience in three or more of these areas required:
- Board Membership/Governance
- Committee work
- Committee leadership
- Personal philanthropy
- Events planning
- Law, investing & finance , tech, advocacy, PR, marketing, HR, volunteer management, operations management
- Health and education sectors
Suitable candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis.
Thank you for your interest in preventing breast cancer in the next generation!